NSW Council Exemption – Cedarspan™ Barns…

Worried about needing council approval for your barn or workshed? Look no further.

So long as you are on Rural zoned land in NSW, it is unlikely that you will be required to obtain council approval for your ‘farm’ building. See below for an extract from the relevant NSW legislation;


State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

Part 2 Division 1 Subdivision 16

Subdivision 16
 Farm buildings and structures

   Specified development

The construction or installation of a farm building or other structure used for the purpose of an agricultural activity and not used for habitable purposes is development specified for this code if it is:

(a)  constructed or installed on land in Zone RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4 or RU6, and

(b)  not constructed or installed on or in a heritage item or a draft heritage item or in an environmentally sensitive area.

2.32   Development standards

(1)  The standards specified for that development are that the development must:

(a)  be not higher than 7m above ground level (existing), and

(b)  not have an area of more than:

(i)  if it is a stockyard—0.5ha, or

(ii)  if it is any other building or structure—200m2, and

(c)  be located at least 20m from the primary road frontage of the lot and at least 10m from the other lot boundaries, and

(d)  not be constructed or installed within 50m of a dwelling on an adjoining property, and

(e)  be located at least 50m from a waterbody (natural), and

(f)  to the extent it is comprised of metal components—be designed by, and constructed in accordance with the specifications of, a professional engineer, and

(g)  to the extent it is a silo—not be fitted with a motorised fan for aeration or drying purposes.

(2)  If the development is a shipping container, there must not be more than 1 shipping container per lot.



For further information:

As this policy can change at any time, please view the complete up to date planning policy at…

You can find your land zoning using the NSW planning portal and you can print an exempt development report using the Electronic Housing Code Website or the NSW Interactive Buildings Website.